Karyes Pafsanias

Churches of Upper Settlement

Church of Agios Andreas (St Andrew)

The church of Agios Andreas was built in the 1960s, a few meters from the spot where the old church stood, at the expense of Brotherhood of Arahovites abroad - Ai Karyai and the initiative of the great benefactor Ioannis Georgiou Darmos. Our compatriot was the "soul" of this great project and he founded the "FILEKKLISIASTIKO SYLLOGO KARYON" for the construction of the church. Other great benefactors also contributed to the completion of the project, which are Panagiotis G. Karygiannis, who left all his fortune to the church and Georgios K. Kostalas, who donated money in order to build the spire of the church. With the necessary amount raised, the church was completed, a project which many had designated at the time as "imposible". The inner of the temple has beautiful frescos and there is an amazing marble "templo" (screen).

Church of Assumption (Panagia)

The Church of Assumption, or else known to the inhabitants as "Panagia", was built in 1900 and it is located on the North-East end of the village, at 500m from the central square on the road to Agios Petros Kinourias. According to historical evidence, this site is determined to be the place where was the "Santuary of Artemis", with the statue of Caryatid Artemis and its priestesses called Caryatids.

In 1960, with the donation of Andreas G. Lambrakis and money from the heritage Panayiotis G. Karygiannis, the exterior enclosure was embellished with the construction of the concrete corridors.

In 2001, the temple was removed from the temple in order to reveal the beautiful stonework in which marble sections of archaic temples, possibly coming from the same ancient temple at that site, can be seen. From testimonies of residents that worked building the temple, these architectural parts were found during the excavation of the temple's foundation.

Then all the courtyard space was paved, the perimeter walls were dressed with stone and lighting was installed on the plane trees, but also at the water spring.

Church of Agios Demetrios

At the end of the 1970s the church of Agios Dimitrios was erected at the expense of Georgios Th. Skiouris in the area of Vergatsoulas near his father's house. It was inaugurated in October 1980 by the newly elected Metropolitan of Sparta and Monemvasia Efstathios.

Church of Agios Ioannis (St. John)

In the same area with the "Roloi" there in the church of Agios Ioannis (St. John), which was built between 1860 and 1870. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the church honored also Agios Panteleimon on the 27 of July, but the fest was moved later to the church of Agios Andeas in the central square and today this is the larger fest of Karyes.

In the 1970s brothers Andreas and Konstantinos N. Harakas proceed to the formation of the space of the grove and its enclosure, and for that reason they gave a piece of their own property.

The 2000 temple was renovated externally and internally with contributions from the compatriots of the Adelphotis, but also from Karyates of the village. Lastly, in 2018, with the initiatives of the Karyes Church Council, with the contributions and personal work of our compatriots, the roof was repaired, the temple was painted externally and internally, while oleanders were planted in the grove, while from 2016, at the expense of the Karyates Association, the temple was illuminated externally.

Church of Agios Nikolaos (St. Nikolaus) and Cemetery of Upper Settlemen

The church was built in 1898 with donation from Panagiotis and Anastasios Athanasopoulos and it is located on a mountainside at the east part of Karyes settlement. In the same place there is also the cemetery of Karyes upper settlement.

In the 1960s the road to the holy temple was cemented and the cemetery was completely renovated with donations of Georgios K. Mendavlos and Panagiotis Nik.Charakas.

In 2005, the space was redecorated and expanded through a state program and sponsored by Stavros Mermigas in memory of the father of Nicholas.

Churches of lower settlement (Rahi)

Church of Agia Paraskevi and Cemetary of Lower Settlement

The beautiful church of Agia Paraskevi, with the amazing spire made of white marble stone, was built in 1600-1620, it has byzantine rhythm and it is situated on the S.E. side of Karyes. According to tradition, the first church was a small temple near a threshing floor at "Sakalis Spring" and the icon of Agia Paraskevi used to "leave" the church and be found in the location that the new temple was built. During the Hellenic revolution, Ibrahim torched the church but luckily only the reredos was burned. The church was restored in 1887 and this new date replaced the old one on the gate's lintel.

In 1931 the "Brotherhood of Arahovites abroad - Ai Karyai" donated money and the church was renovated taking its present form. In 2001 the temple's limestone was removed and the old masonry was revealed. In 2015 the church was painted internally, while in 2017, with the donation of Konstantinos Christopoulos, the roof was repaired. Impressive is its elaborate bell tower made of white marble stone.

The church is located within a grove, that includes also the cemetary of the lower settlement (Rahi). In 1960, with the donation of Athanasios K. Iliopoulos, the site was rebuilt, the walls were constructed and railings were placed around the perimeter. In 2001 the entire courtyard was paved and the statue of the benefactor Athanasios Matalas was preserved and moved to a more central place.

Churches outside settlement

Church of Agioi Anargyroi

The church was built in 1904 with donation from Paraskevas G. Harakas. It is about 1km before the settlement and it is surrounded by a small grove.

In the 1960s it was completely repaired with a donation by George Nick. Charakas in memory of its uncles of Paraskevas and Ioannis.

Church of Agia Varvara

The church was built in 1928 with donation from Georgia wife of Georgios Matala. It is located at the east side of the settlement, it is about 150m away from the last houses of "Vergatsoula" and its is recommended as a nice route for trekkers. The church is surrounded by pin trees and has a beautiful view of the upper settlement of Karyes.

Church of Agios Georgios (St George)

The church was built in 1900-1902 on a small hill on the Karyes plateau, with donation of a cheese trader from Tripoli, named Siandris Dimitrios, and other shepherds. Every spring the church honors the saint and at that day takes place an outdoor fest, with the support of Karyes' Clubs.

Church of Agios Konstantinos (St Constantine)

This church began to be build in 1911-15 with donation from Ilias Ι. Kopsiaftis and his wife Margarita. After their death, they gave their entire heritage in order to finish the church and so it was completed in 1923. It is placed on the top of a hill full of pine trees, also known as "Strogylovouni", which is above the lower settlement (Rahi). It can be accessed by car, but it is also recommended as a beautiful route for trekkers and in the spot someone can find also a source of drinking water.

Church of Agia Kyriaki

The church of Agia Kyriaki was built during the 1980ies and it can be found in the main road from Karyes to Sparti on a small hill. The Inauguration of the church took place in May 1983 by the Metropolitan of Monemvasia and Sparta Eustathios in owned land by Meletios Melehes at the expense of himself and Panagiotis Goudes.

In 2018 it was completely renovated with the initiative of the Karyes Ecclesiastical Council and the Voluntary Supporting Group of the village temples.


Church of Agioi Taxiarhes

In 1997, the stone church of the Pammegistoi Taxiarches of Karyes was built within a year time at the expense of Epaminondas Kastanas, at the entrance of the village. Its inauguration was attended by Metropolite of Sparta and Monemvasia on July 25, 1998.

In 2018, with the actions of the voluntary support group of the churches of the village and the ecclesiastical council, all the damages of the temple were repaired and the external space was planted with trees.

Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary

In the place of Fotinou Karyon and in the center of the homonymous settlement, there is the Holy Temple of the Birth of Virgin Mary. It was built in 1928 under two beautiful beeches by Georgios Ardamis but it was destroyed by the Nazis in 1944. In 1988, on the ruins, the Ardamis brothers rebuilt the present Temple, where there is also a cemetery.